From:
Jean Ridler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 11:08:31 +0200
Heather wrote:
> This is our experience in the UK, as well - as if the baby wakes up
> ****PING!!!!**** on the exact day,  desperate for solid food.> [A similar
> thing happened with gestation (though more as a result of 'average' being
> translated as a date and not a range)   - a baby born at 40 weeks plus 2
> days is 'late' and one born at 39 weeks is 'a week early'.]

What about breastmilk changing from being a wonderful nutritions food at 3
months to being not much better than water at 3 months and one day?  And
foremilk changing to hindmilk at exactly x minutes into a feed?

It seems that mothers want very clear and definite answers.  Maybe because
during their pregnancies and births most decisions are made for them and
seem very clear cut?  Our society seems to pay lip service to the
individuality of infants.

Mothers do have commons sense and instincts and their babies are their best
teachers - how do we best encourage mothers to tap into this?

Jean Ridler  RN  RM  IBCLC
South Africa   [log in to unmask]