From:
Julie Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2003 15:18:38 -0400
Winnie, Check the archives from the past year where this has been discussed.
In the Jewish tradition, women are expected to nurse, according to the
Talmud, for 24 months. It is considered a woman's obligation to her husband.
One Jewish authority talks about nursing for 4 years for a healthy child and
5 years for a sickly child. Good luck with your research.

Julie Rosen, LLLL in Teaneck, NJ, CD (DoNA)

You wrote:

Re: Kim's comments:
I am reminded about a story one of my first LLL co-leaders told.  It
was in the early 70's when breastfeeding was barely starting to make
its comeback.  She was chatting with a neighbor and nursing her
baby.  The neighbor said something like, "Why would anyone want to
do that?"  The Leader replied,"Well, I figure that's what God put
the breasts there for."  The neighbor immediatley snapped back with,
"Well, He could have changed His mind you know!"

While this is laughable, it is sad when supposedly religious people
try to put pressure on parents to ignore their instincts and
discourage trusting in what God gave them and try to find
justification for that attitude in the Holy Writings of their Faith!

Has anyone collected not only Biblical references, but those from
other Faiths regarding or referring to breastfeeding?  It would make
for interesting reading.  I have heard that the Koran speaks of
breastfeeding for at least 2 years.  Do we have Muslim LNers that
can tell us what Surah has that reference?  There are some loverly
references, especially in children's prayers, in the Baha'i Writings
to being nourished from the breast as a symbol of not only physical
nourishment, but spiritual nourishment as well.  If this hasn't
already been done, I might try to gather references from as many
religious traditions as possible and would welcome any input or
suggestions.

Winnie