Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2007 17:28:59 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I have permission to post. Lovely mom with many yrs of infertility had a wonderful boy, some initial trials but was nursing well, baby at the 90%. then between the 4mo and 6mo visit wt loss 12 oz!  Was 19# 6oz down to 18# 10oz. Baby was dx with a uti, treated and now at 8 months is just 19# 2.2, so has only gained 8 oz in 8 weeks. Baby looks great, chubby to me though mom notices ribs now. C/O " butting" behavior at night- I watched some very gymnastic nursing and when baby was tugging we started some gentle compressions.. baby looked shocked -too cute. but, transferred 5.6 oz.
   ( this is where I like the scale to give evidence in favor of bf) anyway should we be patient and allow time to regain all that wt loss if baby is happy? the pedi is getting worried.  Confounding factors: baby has refulx, no vomiting lately, -mom has had some extreem and very rapid wt loss. She's 60 lbs below pre preg wt.. was on anti -depressants before conception and quite heavy, wondering if the s/e from the meds is just melting her now since off or something else?. On no meds currently.
   Mom is also a vegetarian, is taking more avacado and weighty foods for she and baby. Baby began solids at 6mo and takes just 1-2 times/day..  Fusses at times with solids also, arching crying??  a sip of water helps him..Nurses alot.  but the tugging and arching, trying to stand while nursing is driving her batty.worse at night..Heavy wets and 6 bm's avg/day. wnl for color etc....  Baby is going for pedi GI eval at stanford.  Any other bf strategies for mom?? 
  I've suggested: massage and compression or switch when tugging begins.. talk to him, "all gone? other side? Stop nursing if really upset and offer a sip of water via cup..?  Listen fo swallows, make a nursing log.. come back for a wt check in a week. 

With all these "red herrings" I don't want to get off track.
  Thanks for your W>O>W (words of wisdom)
  Gail Fiock RN, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2