From:
Anne Eglash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2011 20:01:35 -0500
The physician was correct, this is an intraductal bacterial infection. I treat 6-8 of these each month with good success with antibiotics.
She needs a breastmilk culture, these are usually due to staph epidermitis, sometimes staph aureus. The literature is now pretty clear that thrush does not grow in breastmilk cultures from women with this syndrome.
When the baby has thrush and mom is exposed, it appears there may be a biofilm situation, with the yeast somehow causing an imbalance of the staph epidermitis that is already there. That is my current theory anyway, based on Delgado's work in Spain. The theory works well for me, since treating with antibiotics seems to help resolve the pain. Fluconazole tends to help about 40%-60% of the pain.
 From my experience, these women need 6-8 weeks of antibiotics.
Good luck,
Anne

Anne Eglash MD, FABM, IBCLC
Clinical Professor
Dept of Family Medicine
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
600 N. 8th St.
Mount Horeb, WI, 53572
608-437-3064 (O)
608-437-4542 (fax)