From:
cillakat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2007 17:26:04 -0400
Something is still very wrong....i'd be looking long and hard at why
this baby is nursing for one hour on, one off.   Also, I'm wondering
if it's possible.  I mean, if the six kids are home, and the disabled
husband, who's running things?   Maybe the oldest kids?

How's the babys oral structure?   Use of tongue?   Any of the remotest
bits of TT?

I'd work on getting her nursing using a sling, using a baby bjorn and
other handsfree useful ways.

Why is baby fussy at the breast?  oversupply or OAMER?
doubtful......   delayed letdown....possible?   discomfort from
reflux?   possible but not likely with a baby who is sleeping 5h at
night......

I'd be looking at an oral issue with the baby and would try to build
supply a little so that  baby can get milk a little more easily.  I'd
also work majorly on latch getting a seriously deep asymmetrical latch
- the kind that looks lik moms nipple is going up the baby's
nose....nipple almost folds back as it's going into baby's mouth, then
moms thumb (well back from nipple/areola) presses more tissue in as
baby is going on.

1-3 oz in the first few weeks of life counts as insufficient weight
gain, really....not just slow.  normal gain in that time period is 4-7
oz....4 being 'low' but normal.....1?  definitely concerning.

I'd also get all of the basic offenders out of moms diet - encouraing
her to bake up a bunch of chicken, turkey, bison or whatever......cook
big pan of millet in the drippings from the meat........eat
spinach.........cukes/zucchini/summer squash......pears/melons......
Cooking any of the aformentioned only with evoo, salt and pepper.   if
she's stocked on those basics, then she won't be hungry ansd it'll, in
one fell swoop, get her off gluten, soy, dairy, corn, eggs, nuts, fish
etc.

IME it's always worth it to get off the poor quality rx prenatals that
everyone seems to take and encourage a good basic multi with better
forms of zinc, iron etc  (highly absorbable, not irritating...)  I
like natrol my favorite mulitple Take One.  It's cheap and good.
about $10 for a 3 mo supply from iherb.com, vitacost.com etc.  Love
Rainbow Light everyday calcium for a highly absorbale dairy free
calcium option that also satisfies Mg requirements.

all the best,