From:
Monique Schaefers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2003 08:24:47 -0700
 "Phyllis Adamson" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
(SNIP)
> Don't you also have to be sure your group is set up with the appropriate
> non-profit designation?
> Most affiliates and LLL are 501(c)3 and they are allowed minimal to NO
> lobbying activities.
> If you want to lobby for breastfeeding issues as a group, under a group
> name, rather than as a bunch of individual LCs, I think you need a 501(c)4
> designation.
(SNIP)

LLLI is a 501(c)3 non-profit.  Part of this designation is as an educational
organization.  It is well within the bounds of this designation to provide
education and information to legislators regarding BFing issues.   It may
not attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part of its activities
and it may not participate at all in campaign activity for or against
political candidates.

A 501(c)(3) organization may not engage in carrying on propaganda, or
otherwise attempting, to influence legislation as a substantial part of its
activities.  Whether an organization has attempted to influence legislation
as a substantial part of its activities is determined based upon all
relevant facts and circumstances.  However, most IRC Section 501(c)(3)
organizations may use Form 5768, Election/Revocation of Election by an
Eligible Section 501(c)(3) Organization to Make Expenditures to Influence
Legislation, to make an election under IRC Section 501(h) to be subject to
an objectively measured expenditure test with respect to lobbying activities
rather than the less precise "substantial activity" test.

http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=96099,00.html

It would be hard for me to see LLLI or most LLL Groups as participating in
substantial lobbying activity as outlined in previous posts regarding
legislative activity.  The daily work of taking phone calls and leading
meetings and mother to mother support takes a BIG front seat to lobbying and
legislative work.

-Monique
Someone who had a County Commissioner threaten her with legal action when
she volunteered as the Teen Pregnancy Prevention Coordinator in her county
trying to do education work with the political powers that be.  They chose
the wrong gal to try to intimidate!