From:
"Dr. Tom Hale" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 15:25:49 -0500
To      : Diane
Re      : Chemotherapeutic agents and breastfeeding

In reference to Diane W's. question concerning breastfeeding around the
chemotherapeutic agents,  I think this is entirely possible, but only with
certain ones.   As you know,  the pat answer by most oncologists is to dump
the baby and the milk.

I do think that with certain specified drugs, those with short half-lives
and minimal to no sustained long lasting effects,  that a mom can breastfeed
following chemotherapy.  I now know this is so for interferon alpha and
several others.

But I must be honest with you, I am only now beginning to review a lot of
these drugs with reference to their specific kinetics in order to determine
which would be suitable or compatible with breastfeeding,  and I would be
uncomfortable stating which would be compatible with breastfeeding at this
time.  Give me a few months on this one,  many of them will be in my next
edition.

I can tell you that several of these agents may be hazardous and can be
retained in the body for months.  But I'm going to have to dig this stuff
out slowly and consult with my oncologists closely before I feel comfortable
about making grand statements.  I'm sorry, but I'm a little paranoid with
caution.  I hope you understand.

Regards

Tom Hale, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pediatrics