From:
Jay Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 01:57:47 EDT
A pediatrician invited to a childbirth class should take care not to pee in
the soup.  Your posts about the ignoramus misinforming parents-to-be has
inspired me to change the slant of a talk I'm preparing for a LLL conference
next month.  I will present this talk in the form of a "Dear Doctor" letter
to respond to one of the most frequent problems presented to me:  "How do we
talk to a doctor who is uninformed about nursing?"

I once ran a large TPN service and can tell you that babies on Total
Parenteral Nutrition need breast milk perhaps more than other babies because
it will stimulate, heal and nourish their intestinal tracts.  Don't listen to
pseudoscientific arguments about mineral balances, fluid issues and so on.

Jay Gordon