From:
Hilary Jacobson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 15:26:37 +0200
> I find it curious that some of us are wondering if the terrorists
> were
< bf'd or not.  It's really kind of silly and yet I think we are all trying to find SOME explanation
somewhere for what could make individuals behave in this manner. >

A German sociologist, Volker Elis Pilgrim, wrote a classic book analyzing the mind that is behind
war, from ancient to modern times, called "Mother-sons". His point was that this mania can only
occur in cultures where women are suppressed, and in which sons in infancy and young childhood
identify with the vulnerable, violated, un-individualized girl-mother. As he grows up, he finds that
he can't use this identification in any practical way--nor can he help his mother. He has to dispose
of this deepest indentification and grab onto an elusive male identity. Reaching manhood with a huge
hole at the center of his being, the man becomes destructive. The quintessence: by empowering women
we 'combat' the mentality of war at its roots... by giving boys strong, self-knowing women as
mothers. Best would be a strong, positive father identification as well of course. I had to think
about Pilgrim's theories this last week--that this war should have its roots in a culture that is so
repressive of women. I wish this book--which is huge in scope--would be translated into English.

Hilary Jacobson