From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 21:06:08 +0200
Since I mostly work with people I only recently became aware of a test kit
by this name available in farm supply stores, for checking the number of
white blood cells in cow's milk.  It involves taking a small amount of fresh
milk and mixing it with a reagent which causes color change.  The color
varies with the concentration of white cells.  For farmers it means they can
check quickly whether a cow's production passes the test to go to the dairy.

If this test or something like it could be used in humans, imagine how much
simpler it would be to make the differential diagnosis between engorgement
and mastitis.  Does anyone out there know anything about it?
I have also heard unconfirmed rumors that there are tests to determine which
bacterium is to blame, but since the ones in the test are the common
pathogens for bovine mastitis, it wouldn't work for women unless they were
cross-infected from a cow.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway, and walking distance from the feed supply store where
I can get these kits quite reasonably :-)