From:
Amir family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 19:37:54 +1100
Alicia has got in quickly with a very thorough reply.
In my work as a lactation consultant I had the impression that I see very
few women who smoke. Last year I decided to go through my records and count
them up (approx one thousand files). I work in a women's clinic and I found
30+% of women seen for other consultations were smokers, but only 4% of the
breastfeeding women.
I sent a letter off to Acta Paediatrica and it was published in Dec 1999; 88
(12):1412-13.
It would be great if other people who work in breastfeeding clinics could do
an audit and see what the rate of smoking is among their clients (this is
VERY easy and you may get your letter published in Acta Paediatrica!).
Of course, the reason is not known. I would doubt they have less bf probs -
and may have more if milk supply is affected by nicotine. We know that
smokers are less likely to intend to bf and less likely to initiate bfing -
and I wonder if they are less likely to seek help and more likely to give up
bfing.
Lisa Amir
MBBS, MMed, IBCLC in Melbourne, Australia