Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:16:12 EDT
In a message dated 4/12/2005 8:23:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
Transmission of illness through donor milk
Jay-are you asking about donor milk from private donors or a milk bank? When
I worked at WakeMed, we operated one of the country's milk banks.  The donors
were screened, similiar to the Red Cross blood collection screening,her Ped
and OB sent in medical forms stating the mother is healthy and they saw no
reason for her not to be a donor, her blood was tested for 6 or 7 blood borne
diseases, she was instructed on pumping, stroing, handling, and shipping the milk
in a safe manner, the milk was pastuerized, and samples were sent to the lab
for testing to insure there was no bacterial growths. I don't  think there has
been any suspected or confirmed reports of any illnesses passing through milk
in the milk bank system .
Barb Whitehead, BS, IBCLC, RLC
eastern NC