From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:45:04 -0500
Yeah, Jack, Pat, et al. - it's SO important to *show* (as opposed to just
lecture about) how valuable those precious drops of colostrum and milk are.
Admire it, gloat over it, call in other staff members to show how perfect it
is, and enthuse till mom's eyes glaze over! So many new moms look at those
few drops they get after their early labors with the pump & its attendant
"equipment", and they say, "oh, this is all I got, it's not even worth
saving..." We, who know the value of the stuff, are the ones who can show
her - by the way we handle it, by the information we share with her, by our
enthusiasm for it. (How many "body fluids" ever get that kind of
attention?!)

A hospital nurse especially has a lot of opportunity for this important
teaching, because you're right there, and the barriers are down. I used to
just slip into casual conversation (using "regular" language) some of what
is known about the healing and bacteriostatic properties of breastmilk, how
in some places it is used as treatment for infections, that kind of stuff,
just while I was helping her or even making her bed or whatever. People are
so used to seeing huge 4-oz. bottles of "formula" that of course those drops
of liquid gold that don't even cover the bottom of the bottle don't look too
impressive - why would they, unless you know something about them? Subtle
way to educate other staff members, too - before you know it, you hear them
telling others what they've heard you tell your patients. Ta-da!

Cathy Bargar, RN, IBCLC Ithaca NY