Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2008 01:19:56 +0000
>Heather writes: she's expressing to fill the bottle, so supply would not be
>reduced?
>But that's  not necessarily correct....a mother who expresses every evening,
>say, in order to extend the gap between night feeds, may well find she has
>created a decrease in supply
>
>My question:  If a mother has expressed milk during the day either after a
>nursing or between a nursing and has expressed the EBM THAT day and someone
>else feeds it without using any other milk (either AIM or EBM from anothor
>day)may/will suffer a decreased milk supply?

Yes, she may, because the use of the ebm will extend the gaps between
direct breastfeeds, and milk supply is driven by *effective frequent
removal of milk* from the breasts. A longer than normal gap may
initially and in the short term lead to uncomfortably full breasts
and if the ebm is given routinely in this way, milk supply will
decrease.  It makes no difference if all this happens on the same day.

>Heather writes: Six weeks is the standard UK NHS advice on introducing
>bottles.
>
>My question:  Moms are upset when babies don't take the bottles after one
>month of breastfeeding and they are returning to work at 6 weeks. Is 6 weeks
>standard recommendation for most of the LCs on the listserve?  Thanks in
>advance, Mary Ann RN, IBCLC from central Wisconsin

I am not an LC, and I do not agree with the standard UK advice on
this, because as I explained, using the calendar in this dogmatic way
is unhelpful and unrealistic.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK