Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2012 16:07:19 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Please do not infer from this message that I disagree with having this mom have the lump assessed to rule out breast cancer - I've personally dealt with two mothers who developed this deadly, fast-growing killer....

However, in addition,  I would also ask what pump she is using at work and how she uses it.  I've lately had a "rash" of plugged ducts that are correlated with a "hands free" pumping system.  I'm not in a place to make a study of it, but wonder if the manner in which the flanges are held against the breast might not be creating plugs in the ducts.  Usually, when a mom is holding her flanges, she moves them around, her body moves around and she also will massage or manipulate the breast to try to "get the last drop" out.  When using hands-free systems, they seem to "zone out" and "let the machine do it" then just stop.

Of course there are many moms who use these devices with no problem - but it may be that moms who have problems with them have ducts that are closer to the surface, or a less-robust let-down which does not overcome the pressure of the flange or holder, etc. 

...just a thought...

Again - not instead of going to a doctor - but in addition to...

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
Vacaville, CA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2