From:
Mary Cummins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 21:38:48 -0700
I hear about this all the time ...... at around 37 wks  the OB tells the mom
they better induce because the baby is getting "too big".  Sadly, the moms
around here fall for it hook, line and sinker.  And then they are ever so
grateful when they have forceps or vacuum extractions because that proves the
doctor was right about her being too small to deliver such a big (7 lb baby).
"If we had waited until the baby was full term, I would have had to have a
c-sec."  Yeah, right.

About preciptious labors and BF, here's my anecdotal contribution.  My second
baby was a precipitous home birth, 3 hrs. more or less.  In retrospect, I
believe she would have born even sooner if the midwives had shown up earlier
than they did.  Anyway, she BFd like a champ.  She pretty much latched on the
moment she was placed in my arms within a couple of minutes of birth.

Mary Cummins, M.Ed., IBCLC
Scottsdale, Az