From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2012 18:59:14 -0400
Pam,
   Donor milk from milk banks is mostly mature milk. We take milk from
babies up to one year of age.
Preemie milk is processed separately from mature milk, and dispensed
to NICUs for their smallest babies. However, most of the milk donated
to milk banks is mature milk. For preemie babies, donor milk (and
formula) is fortified with a balance of components that preemies need,
but the milk is most often mature milk. We just don't have enough
preemie moms with more milk than their own babies need, and when we
do, the milk is only considered "preemie" milk for about 4 weeks after
the birth, no matter how early the baby arrives.

So, in short donor milk used in NICUs is mature milk, the issue is
whether the NICU will allow milk from your daughter who has not been
screened and the milk is unpasteurized. Hospitals in our area (New
England) do not allow milk from other moms, my impression is that that
is pretty standard in most places in the US, but there may be
individual places that allow it.

Hope this helps clarify. Hope your daughter in law can hold onto these
babies a bit longer.

Naomi

> My question is:   Can the preemie twins  safely take donor milk from
> my daughter who is nursing a 6 month old and willing to donate. In
> other words, is mature milk safe at all for preemies? And will the
> NICU even allow it?

Naomi Bar-Yam Ph.D.
Executive Director
Mothers' Milk Bank of New England

617-527-6263
www.milkbankne.org
The information contained in this email message and any attachments
may be privileged and/or confidential.  It is for intended
addressee(s) only.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any review, disclosure, reproduction,
distribution or other use of this communication is strictly
prohibited.  If you received this email in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete the message without saving, copying or
disclosing it.  Thank you.