From:
Carla D'Anna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 00:26:04 -0400
Another thought to ponder and discuss.  At the recent Altoona
conference, it was said/speculated (I'm not sure which or by whom - I
searched my notes to no avail - going on memory alone here) that even if
proper/adequate glandular growth did not take place in pregnancy it can
begin/continue with proper stimulation past delivery.  What are your
thoughts on this?  Is this published anywhere?

I would think that this would depend on the cause of the insufficient
glandular growth.  In my client's case  if insufficient body fat were
the cause of inadequate growth of glandular tissue during pregnancy,
then fattening up the mom while stimulating the breasts should yield at
least as good of results as might be expected from inducted lactation.

What say ye, my fellow lactnuts?  Are there other mechanisms going on if
this catch up growth of glandular tissue with stimulation after birth
really does take place?

--
Carla D'Anna, RN, IBCLC hospital based LC
from Maryland, just north of Washington, DC