From:
Pamela Ehret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2010 10:33:16 -0500
I am a WIC BF Coordinator and Peer Counselor Program supervisor.  Recently one of my PC's returned to work after giving birth to a beautiful exclusively breastfed baby. During the week of her return to work she was required to attend a mandatory training at our district office and of course brought her 4 week old baby with her. HR blew a gasket at her having the baby with her and it stirred up a very heated debate and resulted in my formal reprimand by the district Nutrition Services Director.  On the one hand this PC is also a WIC client that we have taught to exclusively BF.  She is doing what she is supposed to be doing yet we are at the same time telling her that she cannot be exclusive in the sense that she must separate from her baby while at work. Are there any other WIC programs experiencing the same dilemmas? If so I would greatly appreciate any input as to how to go about changing these antiquated and contradictory policies.  Thanks in advance.

Frustrated beyond words!!
Pam

~We feel what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean, but the ocean would be less because of that missing drop~

Pamela Ehret LPN, IBCLC, RLC
District Breastfeeding Coordinator
   (Chatham, Effingham, Bryan)
1602 Drayton St.
Savannah, Georgia 31401
office:912.651.2640
fax:    912.651.6251

"This email may contain certain confidential or priviledged information and is intended only for the recipient named above.  Receipt of this email by any person other than the intended recipient does not constitute permission to examine, copy or distribute the accompanying material.  If you received this email in error, please notify me by telephone and delete this email from your inbox and also from your trash."