Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 16:51:19 GMT
Joy wrote:  any comments to make about this statement about
*when* mothers should eat.

Joy-- I'm no dietician or nutritionist, but I have known women who swear they
felt better in themselves come crunch time between 4 pm and 8 pm if they ate
more of their main sustainance earlier in the day.  I remember a trainee
breastfeeding supporter who moved her main meal to lunch time after her third or
fourth baby was born.  Who knows if she just felt more prepared for that ghastly
tea time if she had a belly full of stew and potatoes rather than a sandwich and
a yoghurt?

I often suggest to mothers to have a SUBSTANTIAL snack in mid to late afternoon.
It seems to help, whether by adding nutrients to the blood supply or just
permission to slob about for a bit rather than rush around -- who knows?

Magda Sachs
Breastfeeding Supporter
The Breastfeeding Network
Saddleworth, near Oldham, Greater Manchester, UK