From:
Gail Neuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 13:16:32 -0800
Sorry to have had to just hit 'reply' but my post from last night never
made it to the listserv. This is for the hospital RNs on the list.

One of our patients was told by the pediatrician that she could not hold
nor breastfeed her baby until 24 hours after her last temp over 100.5
She had a c/section on 11/14 and on the 15th she was having temps of
100.8-102.4 They started her on Ampi and Gent on the 14th with only a
urine culture done(came back on the 16th showing that ampi is not
effective for this infection!)

Anyway, mom was not to be allowed to have her baby until 9pm last night.
I have not seen mom and baby separated for a fever since the 70's. The
nurses said 'the infection control nurse told us in the past.......".
Well, I didn't accept that one liner and told the nursery nurse to page
the doctor. The baby was already exposed to any infection the mom might
have, can certainly breastfeed with Ampi and Gent in the breast milk,
and that the fever was not coming from infected milk ducts!

Working at an antiquated hospital is a challenge. Does anyone have a
hospital written policy on this to share? I do not believe in separating
moms and newborns except for a critical illness.

Gail Neuman RNC
Director of Perinatal Services
Montclair Hospital Medical Center
Montclair, CA