From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 21:23:01 -0800
The first time this phrase was used in my presence was by my own OB!  He
wanted to know if I was one of "them" when I explained that I was an IBCLC.
It took me by such surprise that tears came to my eyes - the word Nazi being
used in any way shape or form with what I am or what I do was SO offensive
and upsetting to me!  He apologized.

Since then, I have heard it again, but not referring to me, instead people
saying they were glad I wasn't one.

My response has been more professional than my first - but I still get
red-faced and you can see I am just barely in control - I have been
embarrassed by this response until now - even though I always receive an
apology when it can be seen that I am so stricken.

Perhaps I should not be embarassed by my response - THEY should!  I still
need to work on an appropriate verbal response and am rehearsing some of the
words that have been used in previous posts to see which will work best for
me - in MY history books, Nazis killed Jews - AND they killed Catholics and
others of many other and no religions - they killed gays - they killed
gypsies -  I will NOT accept that term for me and others my profession!

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
Vacaville, California