Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2011 20:26:47 +0000
Yes, we have good data collection here  but it is not perfect.

I would have to go to the original document (of Infant Feeding 2005,
which is our quinquennial (lovin' that word) survey)  to quote but
IIRC the researchers acknowledge that the 1 per cent of 'exclusive
breastfeeding to six months' came from a poorly-worded question.

If you say to a mother, 'when did your breastfed baby start solid
foods?', mothers who excl bf to six months will say 'six months' -
they *did* excl bf to six months and *then* introduced solids at
exactly that age. They will tend to say this knowing it is the
'right' answer, and not realising that they will then go down as
*not* bf excl to six months!

So, our famous '1 per cent excl  bf to six months' is an artefact of
the questionnaire, not a realistic number of the women who breastfeed
exclusively for this time.

Now....experience and observation tell me the 'real' number is not
very high - but it could be double.  Wow, a whole two per
cent......but it's more than 1!

Do my UK colleagues agree?

I am hoping the 2010 survey will have a better-worded question.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK