From:
Debra Swank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 00:12:00 -0400
Dee, the herbalist in our community compounds many of her products in
alcohol.  I have found her cough-calming product to be especially helpful
during winter bouts of bronchitis, when all over-the-counter products I
have tried have been entirely ineffective.  She uses extracts of wild
cherry bark, horehound, fresh mullein leaves, marshmallow root, echinacea
root, osha root, hyssop, fresh flowering violets, licorice root, flowering
anise hyssop, fresh elecampane root & flowers with brandy, honey, glycerin,
grain alcohol, and Larch flower essences in putting together this extremely
helpful cough-calming concoction.  Her name is Sharon Roller and she can be
reached at her shop, The Greenbrier Herbalist, 36 Wolfe Street in
Winchester, Virginia 22601, telephone 540-667-2332.  Through her
professional organizations, she may know of an herbalist in your area who
can be of assistance, if the herbalist who has prepared the goat's rue
tincture doesn't use alcohol or any other product as a substitute for
vinegar in such instances.  However, I am no herbalist, and thus am not
aware of any contraindication in compounding goat's rue into an effective
tincture via anything other than vinegar.  I suggest giving Ms. Roller a
call.

Hoping your vision problems resolve quickly,

Debbie

Debra Swank, RN BSN IBCLC RLC
Winchester, Virginia USA