From:
Marit Olanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2006 08:55:02 +0200
I am one of the Swedes Rachel refers to that has sent SPC-flakes to
Kristiansand, Norway.
The body component that the SPC-flakes increases the production of,
AF, means anti-secretoric factor or something like that (I'll have to
get a Swedish English dictionary for medical words). SPC-flakes have
even more advantages. The father of my sister-in-law has Menière's
disease and my sister-in-law says he has improved lots since he
started with SPC-flakes. They help him getting rid of dizziness and
being able to  live a normal life! Lars Hanson has conducted a study
in Pakistan, where children with diarrhoea were given egg yolk from
hens that had eaten SPC-flakes and contained of AF. The children,
both with acute diarrhoea and prolonged diarrhoea, recovered. So SPC-
flakes seems to be a real gold mine!

The only disadvantage is that the SPC-flakes are expensive. A 450 gr
package of SPC-flakes is a little over SEK 100, approximately US$ 14.
Add about the same price for stamps outside of Europe, the package I
sent to Rachel cost SEK 70, US $ 10, for stamps. But if you are in
desperate need and someone is willing to pay, of course I could send
SPC flakes around the world. Swedish midwife Kristin Svensson, who
was also involved in the study of SPC flakes effect on mastitis in
man, says you'll have to eat one whole package to get effect. Kristin
Svensson has also noted that SPC flakes have increased the milk
supply, though there is no study on that. You have it like muesli on
yoghurt or cook it to poorige. 1 gr per kilogramme body weight, =
approx. 100 ml twice a day. I have tasted them and , well for the
taste, I prefer regular oats. They taste a little stale.

Marit Olanders
journalist, editor of the Swedish breastfeeding magazine Amningsnytt
bf counsellor in the Swedish bf support group Amningshjälpen