From:
Kate Coller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:37:30 -0400
But, so many people do believe this!

I have a friend who told me that she breastfed both of her daughters for 6
months, but "just couldn't do it any longer, because I like to have a drink now
and then!"  She did believe that her breastmilk with an occasional drink in it
was far less healthy than formula.

And just yesterday, an experienced BF mom called me.  Her baby is 5 weeks
old and she had nursed her and then had a glass of wine at her neighbor's
house.  She couldn't remember if this was a big deal or not, so she called the
IBCLC at the hospital, but she was gone for the day.  The nurse she spoke
with said "Oh honey, don't worry about it!"  Then she thought she should
check with another nurse, came back on the line and said to pump and dump
for 24 hours!!!  This is when the mom called me.  We are acquainted outside of
her knowing I am an LLLL.  I gave her accurate information.

I suggested that she tell the IBCLC what the nurses are telling moms.  So she
did call back today and let her know about the misinformation she received.

I do wonder why the original nurse on the phone changed her tune, though...

Kate Coller
Elmira, NY