From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 1997 20:58:14 -0500
>In general, a mother suffering from
>depression is going to pump more harmful chemicals into her child--born or
>unborn--than any danger hypericum might cause.

Would you care to provide some references for this statement?  Exactly what
do you mean?  This sounds like the old "If a pregnant woman is frightened by
an elephant during pregnancy, the baby will be born looking like an
elephant."  Or "If the mother eats too many strawberries during pregnancy,
the baby will be born with a birth mark that looks like a strawberry."

 Women tend to become
>depressed during and after pregnancy more often than at other times.

What about this statement.  Is this true?  Is it true only for women in the
US who don't have support systems and don't breastfeed, or is it true of all
women everywhere?

>>And since what the mother feels the unborn child feels

Again, I find this *extremely* difficult to accept.  As far as I know there
is no evidence to suggest that feelings can be transmitted from the mother
to the child in utero.  References please?

Sign me, the Skeptical Inquirer