Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:12:22 -0400
As a nutritionist i am following this thread.
All due respect to Barb Berges, yes companies that stand to make money
marketing omega-3 supplements are (in my opinion) taking advantage of the
recent overwhelming research on the benefits of omega-3s.    It is not a
hoax.   Pregnancy and breastfeeding do make demands on the body for omega-
3s.  That said we should be focusing on teaching our clients how to improve
the fatty acid profile of their milk and their family's diets through good
nutrition!  Real foods.  (others have listed the common dietary sources.  Note:
cold water fish should come from wild sources so as to avoid contaminants).

I also want to comment on the "toxic" inferences.  Our food supply is
overwhelmingly using cheap sources of oils that do push the omega 6 balance
too high in the common diet.  And, oil that is super-heated (as in frying and
french frying) becomes oxidized and "rancid" which is not good for human
ingestion.  Hydrogenation creates trans fats, which we now know is not good
for human health.

Basically:  try to eat cold pressed oils from a variety of food sources, a variety
of nuts and seeds, greens, cold water fish.   If your diet is poor in these then
an omega-3 rich supplement like fish oil or flaxseed oil may be a good choice.
Keep oils, nuts and supplements refridgerated.  Try to avoid super heated oils,
and trans fats.

Jean Westerlund-Rice, MPH, RD, IBCLC
Nutritionist, Lactation Consultant