Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 18:51:59 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
Some of you may remember receiving a survey from Stanford University MEdical Center in 6/97 that asked many questions about ankyloglossis (tongue tie). ILCA released the names of IBCLC's to the 2 doctors at Stanfored that were conducting the survey.

I came across my letter the other day and have contacted one of the physicians that did the survey and she has sent me 2 UNPUBLISHED papers One titled  ANKYLOGLOSSIA:  INCIDENCE AND ASSOCIATED FEEDING DIFFICULTIES (14 pages long) and the other titled Ankyloglossia:  Prevailing Opinion Regarding Management (15 pages long).

Both are in MS word format and she has granted me permission to share them as long as I make sue you know that the data is still unpublished.  If you would like to receive these as an attachment or or you cant read MS word attachments, I can copy and paste them into the body of an e mail message, please let me know.  PLEASE by private e mail only and PLEASE specify which way you want to receive them, as an attachment or in the body of the message.

Here are the document conclusions :
CONCLUSION (Prevailing Opinion Regarding Management )

This study highlights the controversial nature of ankyloglossia both within and between specialty groups. There is currently no consensus among otolaryngologists, pediatricians, speech pathologists, and lactation consultants regarding the significance of ankyloglossia and indications for its treatment.

CONCLUSION  (ANKYLOGLOSSIA:  INCIDENCE AND ASSOCIATED FEEDING DIFFICULTIES) 

The incidence of ankyloglossia in the newborn well-baby population is 4.8%. Ankyloglossia can adversely affect breastfeeding in a minority of cases causing difficulty latching onto the breast and/or prolonged maternal nipple pain. 

Cindy Curtis,RN,IBCLC
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.erols.com/cindyrn

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2