From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2008 08:53:45 -0500
Dear all:

I think the "window of opportunity" and the "solids displacing breastfeeding" theories can
sometimes become mirror images of each other if taken to extremes.

As I mentioned before, the "window of opportunity" theory based on babies who have
eating disorders is a "reverse causality" issue where the outcome of the problem is then
blamed on the feeding mode --- rather than there was a problem to begin with and the
adaptive feeding mode is compensating for the unresolved problem.  Taking away the
adaptive response --- which is to breastfeed more when you can't eat solids creates a
much bigger problem.

As for solids displacing breastmilk --- Kay Dewey did a really nice talk about 4 or 5 years
ago that should remove a lot of the complicated "rules" for introducing solids that have
developed because of this fear.  If I remember correctly it was a study done in Mexico
and may have been done by Homero Martinez --- or perhaps Juan Rivera.

The factors in overfeeding an infant solids were:  number of feeds.  That's it.  There was
no relationship with whether the solid was offered before or after the breast.  This really
means that mothers and babies (as they rightly should) can develop a rhythm that works
for them without getting it "right" by the big rule book.

Infants that were shifted up to five meals per day too quickly did end up with reduced
breastmilk intake.  Ultimately TODDLERS can't survive on less than 5 meals a day (and
breastfeeding should STILL be a part of their diet) but 9 month olds really only need at
most 3 offerings and should not be stuffed with 5 offerings --- and 6 month olds should
start with one offering. I know that some parents really try to force the three square
meals on tiny stomach.  My nine year old still eats three meals and two snacks.  The
concept of "snacks" got a bad rap when we started inventing unhealthy snacks.

And as for quantity --- I think it is find to let the infant play around with quantity ---
remember we all eat different quantities at different times and self regulate if we don't
have eating disorders.  My son in one sitting ate stewed prunes, sweet potatoes and rice
cereal in one sitting --- the quantity was far greater than he had ever eaten before.  He
really really wanted it.  So, I let him try it.  He never ate that quantity again or tried
prunes again --- but on that day that's what he wanted.  He has a normal BMI, very
athletic and muscular and not hung up about foods.

Best, Susan Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC
Manhattan