Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2008 08:53:45 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (53 lines)
Dear all:

I think the "window of opportunity" and the "solids displacing breastfeeding" theories can 
sometimes become mirror images of each other if taken to extremes.

As I mentioned before, the "window of opportunity" theory based on babies who have 
eating disorders is a "reverse causality" issue where the outcome of the problem is then 
blamed on the feeding mode --- rather than there was a problem to begin with and the 
adaptive feeding mode is compensating for the unresolved problem.  Taking away the 
adaptive response --- which is to breastfeed more when you can't eat solids creates a 
much bigger problem.

As for solids displacing breastmilk --- Kay Dewey did a really nice talk about 4 or 5 years 
ago that should remove a lot of the complicated "rules" for introducing solids that have 
developed because of this fear.  If I remember correctly it was a study done in Mexico 
and may have been done by Homero Martinez --- or perhaps Juan Rivera. 

The factors in overfeeding an infant solids were:  number of feeds.  That's it.  There was 
no relationship with whether the solid was offered before or after the breast.  This really 
means that mothers and babies (as they rightly should) can develop a rhythm that works 
for them without getting it "right" by the big rule book.  

Infants that were shifted up to five meals per day too quickly did end up with reduced 
breastmilk intake.  Ultimately TODDLERS can't survive on less than 5 meals a day (and 
breastfeeding should STILL be a part of their diet) but 9 month olds really only need at 
most 3 offerings and should not be stuffed with 5 offerings --- and 6 month olds should 
start with one offering. I know that some parents really try to force the three square 
meals on tiny stomach.  My nine year old still eats three meals and two snacks.  The 
concept of "snacks" got a bad rap when we started inventing unhealthy snacks.

And as for quantity --- I think it is find to let the infant play around with quantity --- 
remember we all eat different quantities at different times and self regulate if we don't 
have eating disorders.  My son in one sitting ate stewed prunes, sweet potatoes and rice 
cereal in one sitting --- the quantity was far greater than he had ever eaten before.  He 
really really wanted it.  So, I let him try it.  He never ate that quantity again or tried 
prunes again --- but on that day that's what he wanted.  He has a normal BMI, very 
athletic and muscular and not hung up about foods.

Best, Susan Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC
Manhattan

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2