Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2014 18:42:48 +0100
>I looked at this a while ago Heather. From memory it suffers from
>comparing never vs ever breastfed (it's quite a difficult paper to
>read and the methods are not very clear). And they selectively cite
>from the PROBIT study.
>Karleen Gribble
>Australia

Thanks, Karleen, but it is a newly published study, apparently, and
the (not very clear) article I linked to states "For each sample, the
researchers sought answers to two basic questions: Was at least one
child breast-fed and, if so, what was the duration of breast-feeding?"

The researchers looked at children aged 4 to 14 years old and some of
the measures examined included aspects which you would not really
expect bf to have a measurable impact - hyperactivity and digit
recognition???

Some of the report is hard to understand:

"Some examples of differing benefits: Breast-feeding's beneficial
influence on BMI decreased by 66 percent between siblings across
families and siblings within families. The magnitude of the
beneficial effects of breast-feeding for math, reading, vocabulary
and intelligence declined by between 69 and 29 percent, respectively,
when comparing data across families to data from within families."

Er...well, that's as clear as mud:( :( ....but if bf makes a 29 per
cent difference (whatever that means....) between siblings,  then
that's pretty significant, isn't it?

(A kind lactetter has just forwarded me the whole paper so I will
look at it properly)

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK