From:
Iona Macnab <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 18:54:59 +0900
Hello wise ones
I am looking for information online in German to help a couple here in
Tokyo, Japan. The baby was born by emergency C section, and taken away for
several hours for observation. He has not really latched since birth and is
now 6 days old. The mother is doing skin to skin, and after searching the
internet (before contacting me) her husband decided to try finger feeding
with a syringe. The baby has not been taking in enough milk, and so today
when I saw them for the first time, we talked about ways to persuade the
baby to take the breast, but in the meantime, they are now using a proper
finger feeder so that baby can get enough expressed breast milk.
I have explained everything to them in English, and their English is fine,
but I always like to offer parents further information/articles etc, as we
are pretty limited in terms of health care in foreign languages here. It
would be nice if anyone could direct me to some appropriate information in
German, about finger feeding, breast refusal and persuading baby back to the
breast. Does such an online resource exist? I have given them the general
LLL Deutschland site, but I was looking for something more specific.
Mother is trying skin to skin, allowing baby time to try self attachment,
but he is still arching and refusing.  If anyone has any other suggestions
for persuading baby to take the breast, I would be glad to hear them too.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Best wishes
Iona Macnab BA(Hons) LLB IBCLC LLLL
Tokyo Japan