From:
Dianne Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2005 09:15:46 -0700
Hi Becky,

This baby's birth weight was 7-7.  He left hospital at 6-11, and at 5 weeks
he was 7-14.  The roughly 4 oz./week is from lowest weight.  So, he falls
in the second scenario that you mention.  I don't find it frightening,
given everything else being on-track, but for sure it needs looking into.
Like some of the other posts I received, my take on this is that this
little guy may be a slow gainer but he's doing fine.

This is a LLL call for me- I am both a LLL Leader in my community and pp
IBCLC.  I do not make house calls as a LLL leader, so I have not seen this
baby face-to-face (but his pediatrician has several times over the past
weeks).  The mom has not indicated that she is interested in a LC
home-visit (which, ethically, I would have to decline and recommend someone
else in my area).  She is getting  and taking advice, also, from her cousin
who is a pediatrician (who breastfed her children) who has recommended
giving the baby some formula after nursings.

Thanks for your input!

~Dianne