From:
Elisa Casey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 21:55:17 -0400
On Thursday 07 October 2004 20:21, Automatic digest processor wrote:
> Reposted with permission of the mother. This came up on the pumpmoms
> list, and I was hoping someone here might have some data on suction
> forces and nosebleeds.
> ~~~
> A friend of mine had an incident while nursing her then 7-day old son,
> and I wondered if anyone here every had (or heard of) a similar
> experience.  She was nursing him and when she went to switch breasts,
> she saw that his mouth was full of blood. She checked herself and she
> wasn't bleeding.  Then DS suddenly he gasped, blood poured out of his
> nose and he stopped breathing!  He went totally limp and blue.  She is
> a pediatrician, thank god, and did rescue breathing until the
> ambulance came.  By then he was breathing on his own, but irregularly.
> When they got to the hospital, he was doing much better.  They can't
> figure out where the blood came from - the surgeon they consulted
> thought it was a nosebleed.

Did that surgeon actually make any attempt to look and see what was going
on and where the bleeding came from?  Was any blood work done?  I presume
that this baby got Vit-K after birth.  Any changes in stooling?  (color,
consistency, odor, frequency, etc.)

> Her son is now doing great, but she and her husband are worried that
> the force DS was using to suck at the breast caused him to break a
> blood vessel in his nose, and that caused the bleeding, so she is now
> almost exclusively pumping, although trying to get him on the breast
> at least once a day.

Weaning to bottles seems a bit extreme.  I have not heard of nosebleeds
occurring from breastfeeding.
--
-Elisa H. Casey, MSN, ARNP.