Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2011 14:56:16 GMT
Hi everyone,

Another point I always wonder about when foremilk and hindmilk are discussed - everyone seems to be assuming that consuming higher-fat milk will cause more weight gain.  I do understand that babies with green frothy stools, in other words, with mums with over-supply, may not gain weight well.  But the solution may be very frequent smaller feeds, which goes against the idea that babies won't get the 'good' milk until the breast is significantly emptied.  And we know that humans aren't designed so that foremilk needs to be expressed or pumped out so that baby can get to the hindmilk.

  Americans went on a big low-fat kick and ended up gaining tons of weight because of too much sugar and not enough fats in their diets.  Is there good evidence that higher-fat milk makes babies gain faster?  Might it not increase satiety and lead to lower total intake instead?  Or do babies given lacto-engineered milk gain because by feeding by bottle you can feed them past satiety?  I don't feel I understand how all these pieces - including frequency of feeds and milk composition - fit together.

Anybody able to explain more of this to me? (This is not a sarcastic question, by the way.  Milk composition is not my forte.)

 Marcia in MN