Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 20:36:56 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
Hi Lactnetters,
I have just talked with a patient (she agreed to have me post to the list) who had a hydatiform mole pregnancy with
a D&C in December.  Since then, it has turned into metastatic cancer and she states "it is everywhere except
my brain".  She is currently nursing her 4th child who is 3.  She nursed for the last time this am, and was then
admitted to the hospital for chemo, which she will begin tonight.  She has nursed basically for the last 11 years,
tandem nursing her youngest 2.  Her 3 year old has a cows milk allergy.  She knows that she cannot continue
to provide this child with breastmilk while on chemo, but would like to pump to maintain a milk supply on the
chance that she can resume breastfeeding after chemo, if the child wants to.  She feels that she has lost control
over everything in her life, and that this would be one thing she could control....to let her child decide when she
wants to wean, not when cancer or the MD says she should wean.  Apparently either this chemo will work, kill the
cancer and lower the HCG level (the cancer is dependant on HCG) very quickly, or it won't and she will die very
quickly.  I told her that I did know of any reason that she could not pump and try to maintain lactation if she
wants and feels up to it.  I am not a cancer expert by any means.  My thoughts were that her milk may dry up anyway
as an effect of the chemo, but unless it will harm her to pump, why should she not.  Especially if it gives her back
some control.  She also wondered how long after chemo could she go back to nursing if the child desires?
I would appreciate any response you can give me.  Post either to the list, or privately at [log in to unmask]
Thank you,
Beckie Trevino, RN, IBCLC
Lincoln, NE

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2