From:
Laura Spitzfaden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jan 2012 16:07:21 -0500
Technically, there shouldn't be allergens in mom's milk.  We are supposed to break down proteins into small enough units that they will not bother baby.  I remember arguing with a pediatrician years ago about milk protein allery in breastfed babies.  She insisted that human milk protein broke down into the same components as cows milk protein.  But not every mom is breaking down those proteins!  When there are whole proteins in mom's milk, I believe that something is wrong with mom's ability to completely digest her food.  I think it may be a good idea to help mom to heal her gut and improve her digestion so that she doesn't pass whole proteins into her milk.  Some things to try are fish oil, digestive enzymes and probiotics.

I also wonder if yeast overgrowth isn't a factor in some of these cases?  Yeast can damage the gut which would impact digestion.  When my 16 year old was 10, we used kefir and a sugar free diet to try and rid him of yeast and that seemed to help a lot with his symptoms.  Now that virgin coconut oil has been shown to inhibit candida, that might be another thing to consider when trying to heal the gut.