From:
"Susan E. Burger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 14:36:56 -0400
I was initially going to respond off list to Rachel's question about
experience with breastfeeding and Hodgkin's because my experience is of a
personal nature (my sister) and my sister's case is different from Rachel's
friend in several aspects.  However, since she asked for a reply to the
list I will.

My sister had Hodgkins at age 19 (21 years ago) and received radiation
treatment.  She did not have chemotherapy to my knowledge, but I can verify
with her just to be sure.  Rachel didn't mention whether or not the
symptoms on the skin of her friend's breasts were due to radiation or due
to the Hodgkins itself.  The radiation affected my sister's axilary sweat
glands and her salivary glands.  For years she did not need to use
deodorant.  Gradually the sweat glands resumed function (to her dismay).
The reduction in saliva has had the unfortunate consequence of dental
problems and she still does not taste food as well as before.  She did not
have any problems with her breasts from the radiation and she was able to
exclusively breastfeed her daughter for six months (11 years after the
radiation). My completely unscientific guess based on (anecdotal evidence
from a sample size of one) the fact that my sister's sweat glands did
eventually resume function, would be to remain hopeful that this woman
might have some increase in function over the last ten years and with a
second child.

Susan Burger