From:
Fiona Dionne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 22:22:11 -0400
> At the risk of being a wet blanket, I would respectfully like to disagree that giving *things* to new
 > mothers will encourage them to breastfeed.
> Lanolin, leakage-prevention cups and pillows (the three freebies recommended on that website) may
 > indeed be useful items in certain situations. However, to imply
that EVERY mother needs them is not a
 > good idea. It only adds to the misconception that breastfeeding is
difficult and needs lots of equipment.

> How much more useful it would be to share accurate information about how to prevent problems and who
 > to turn to for help and encouragement. Reasonably priced tear-off
information sheets and pamphlets,
 > covering everything from sore nipples to nursing through pregnancy,
are available from the La Leche
 > League online catalogue at:
> http://www.lalecheleague.org/Web_store/web_store.cgi

Norma, I wanted to say, I both agree and disagree with you on this.
;-)  I agree that information is most what people *need*.  However, we
are a materialistic society and so many people who go to maternity
expositions in our area, go by and pick up whatever's free and go on.
  They chuck most of the reading material without having taken one
look at it, and keep the freebies.

There are of course lots of exceptions:  people who read everything
cover to cover, and only pick up what "things" they think could
actually be useful to them, but I think a lot of people *like* getting
the free things, useful or not, and therefore in some sense "think
more" of a company that gives out these so-called "freebies".  They
think the company is giving something back to them.

I know we realize that they're not really...but it's so hard to
convince everyone!  :-(

Fio.
ressource person with Allaitement Québec
Mama to Sandrine, 3yo, and Nyssa, 7 mos, tandem nursing.