From:
Jennifer tieman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:23:02 -0400
Some time ago I enjoyed the discussion on wanting our sons to marry women
who will breastfeed.
My own eldest son is 15 now, and has been "going out" with a young lady for
some time.  After our new baby was born, he was quite shocked to find out
that she did not intend to breastfeed when she had her own children (she
also has not really had any contact with anyone who breastfed.)  He pointed
out to her all the benefits he has heard from me over the years, especially
convenience issues (such as being able to attend all of his activities
without worry about feeding his baby sister!)  She mentioned to him that she
wanted her future husband to be able to bond with her babies by feeding
them.  He pointed out that feeding was not the only way to bond, and
mentioned how close he and my husband our to our baby and seem to find
plenty of things to do with her!
Apparently this has been a running conversation over the last 3 months, as
he has requested ammunition from me every so often.
Yesterday he announced dramatically "Mom, I finally got Shana!"  and went on
to tell me he has convinced her that breastfeeding is the only way to go!
I hope she remembers his advocacy someday when she is ready to have her own
children.  And I hope that day is still pretty far away . . .

Jennifer Tieman
Family Physician
Mom to 4, including nursling Caroline Rose born 5/31/03