From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jul 1998 22:09:33 PDT
Hi lactnetters,
I have been given the go-ahead by my manager to convene an
interdisciplinary committee to begin to look at the BFHI and feasibility
of doing this at our hospital. I will be checking archives for info on
same. I have scheduled the first meeting for WBW. Agenda for the first
meeting is 1. intro to BFHI 2. framework for assessing existing policies
and practices (BFHI appraisal criteria) 3. decide committee members and
level of participation 4.develop goals and action plan.
Anyone going thru this now or have done so recently and willing to share
ideas, helpful tactics, etc. please do so on lactnet or to me via
private email. Our hosp has a ways to go but is not too too baby
unfriendly. I would say we are middle of the road. Major problems are
too much supplementing (checking glucose, jaundice); mother-baby
separation several hours after initial hour together; staff needs more
education; reliance on formula freebies etc. Please share your ideas and
experience. Many thanks. Also if any website you can point me too would
be appreciated.

Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Violet Louisiana, USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]