From:
Renee Hefti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2012 12:06:48 -0700
Did any of you get the letter below from Rick Snyder, Governor of  Michigan?  I'm shocked! What about the rest of you?  At least we now know what Nestle is telling decision makers. Renee

Letter from Governor of Michigan:

Thank you for your interest in the Pure Michigan Fit initiative.  As you may be aware, this program is a collaborative public-private partnership aimed at raising the awareness and importance of health and nutrition not only in infants and children, but adults as well.  Laying the foundation for healthy eating habits is key to tackling the nation’s obesity epidemic.

We understand your concerns and agree that breastfeeding is the best nutrition for infants.  Interestingly enough, the study that helped kick-start this initiative began with Nestle Nutrition.  Not only does the Nestle study indicate that breastfeeding is best, it also identifies several other messages that encourages healthy nutrition in infants and children:

▪              Limit juice consumption to 4-6 ounces per day, and increase water consumption.

                No juice for babies under 6 months of age.

▪              Switch from feeding whole milk to feeding low fat milk – skim or 1%.

▪              Choose nutrient dense foods like fruits and vegetables.

▪              Increase consumption of whole grains.

The partners involved in the Pure Michigan Fit program have expanded beyond Nestle to include the Michigan branch of the American Academy of Pediatrics; Michigan State Medical Society; Michigan Health & Hospital Association; Michigan Osteopathic Association; Departments of Agriculture & Rural Development, Community Health, Human Services and Education; Michigan Grocers Association, Michigan Retailers Association; Michigan Fitness Foundation; Michigan Parks and Recreation Association; and the United Dairy Industry of Michigan, to name a few.

As you can see, this diverse group of organizations is encouraged by the intent of the Pure Michigan Fit program (nutrition, fitness and education) to ensure healthy lifestyles become the norm for generations to come.  It is heartening to learn that Michigan citizens like you are committed to the same cause of a healthier Michigan.

Again, thank you for contacting my office. If you have further questions or comments, please contact my office at 517-335-7858.

Rick Snyder

Governor

Posted by Renee (in Vancouver)