From:
Jo-Anne and Carlos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 09:54:40 -0400
Pat in SNJ wrote,

> Unfortunately, Jay, it isn't any one group  or one thing, it is the force
> of the combined mis information :-(  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ

Blaming any group, as a group, is not only inaccurate but dangerous. I
heard an anti-racist speaker recently. He said, "If we're going to hate
anybody, let's hate him for a good reason. Not because he is Black, or
gay, or part of some group, but because he is mean."
Now, while I do believe that each culture promotes certain attitudes
that facilitate or undermine breastfeeding, I think that the most
dangerous interference comes from individuals. Why is it that some peds
are on lactnet and some recommend weaning one-year-olds? What I'm
interested in is finding out the reasons and experiences behind those
who decide to devote their lives to helping women breastfeed, so that we
can celebrate them and encourage others to use them as role models. It's
a little like those studies on altruism a few years ago.
Jo-Anne, mother of a social activist! If I can figure out how I did it,
maybe I can do it again...