From:
Anne Eglash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 1995 00:00:52 -0500
About the posting on the mom with hyperthyroidism being told she has a need
for weaning (partial) if given meds...this is not my experience. The
reference Clinical Drug Data does a nice comparison of PTU and Tapazole.
Tapazole has much less secretion into breastmilk than PTU; I did review the
study cited on Tapazole (generic = methimazole) and was impressed that the
drug really seems ok. I still would watch the baby closely and periodically
check thyroid levels, but it would be fine to nurse freely while on the
drug.-Anne Eglash MD