From:
Carole Jernigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2007 05:41:08 -0700
Catherine,
Like Norma, I, too, am interested in the source of this information on
the projected longevity and use of the Pump In Style.  Did it come from
the manufacturer?  Do we have *any* clinical studies or trials to
indicate that a PIS, used for full-time pumping for a baby who is not
feeding at breast, will maintain a sufficient milk supply over time?
Does Medela have any comment or information about this?

A good number of moms of babies in our NICU have PIS pumps at home.  I
still strongly recommend that these moms use a hospital-grade pump for
at least the first 2 weeks, to establish milk supply.  I recommend they
record their 24-hour total milk yields closely when they switch to the
PIS.  If milk yields decrease, or if supply takes a dip over the course
of pumping, I recommend changing back to a hospital-grade pump, at
least until supply increases once more.

Would greatly appreciate any information or sources regarding this
issue!

Carole Jernigan
list lurker
RN, BSN, IBCLC