From:
Sharon Knorr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2008 21:05:51 -0400
Hi Kathleen,

I don't have an outline to give you. However, the last few years that I
taught classes, I really changed everything quite a bit. Mostly, I got rid
of all the academic stuff about how milk is made - pictures of alveoli and
such, all the hormone triggers, you know, textbook things.  Coincidentally,
I also used parts of "Follow Me Mum" and a video that just had music(can't
think of the name right now) to show the normal progression of a breastfeed
from early feeding cues through satiated baby. Also self-attachment video. I
really concentrated just on what to expect when you start breastfeeding,
what the first week or so will be like, skin-to-skin, latching, normal
newborn behavior, normal mommy & daddy feelings. I got rid of all my slides,
just used those couple of videos and baby dolls and a balloon, both for
engorgment and latching.  We did a lot of question and answer, discussion
about they thought was going to happen based on their research or input from
other nursing moms they knew.  The couples sat in a horshoe-shape around me
instead of sitting at the long tables or in a more classroom-type setup.  It
went really well.  The new way of doing things kind of evolved from several
of us that were teaching at the time.

Hope this helps.
Sharon