From:
Linda Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2007 23:30:50 -0400
This was my baby. Nobody ever told me that nursing 50% of the time
was abnormal so I tried nothing in response to that, although the
intermittent screaming at my breasts seemed a little weird to me.
Anyway, as I learned of his great intolerance to foods in my diet, I
learned that when he was feeling well (when I had no offending foods),
he nursed for shorter periods of time. When I'd find a new offending
food --- the hard way --- back were the green stools, lack of weight
gain, and "constant" nursing (which I know now was mostly comfort
nursing and I'm so glad he was able to at least have that before I
figured things out). I'm sure the screaming at my breasts was because
he knew they were both source of relief and of pain (from my dietary
antigens). I realized that the nursing helped to alleviate his pain and I
also know for myself that when I have my gastritis/duodenitis whatever
that little sips of drink or bites of food will provide short bursts of relief
while eating much more leads to pain. I don't think there was ever any
latch problem or such. Two days after starting my "total" elimination
diet (weeks into his life) he was suddenly the most normal nurser
(although he came to appreciate the benefits of comfort nursing during
times of stress or boredom and that was great with me). The green
stools in your client's baby, improving with gluten removal but returning
again, suggest dairy intolerance in addition to gluten, and possibly
other foods as well.

linda
author "Baby Matters"