From:
katherine in atl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 22:43:29 -0400
<<I, too, have gone from expecting to have to "toughen" nipples, to
believing
> any pain at all is a bad sign and am swinging a little back to accepting
> that some initial discomfort may be normal for some moms.>>

me too.    Personally,  there are very few times while nursing that I
have no sensation while nursing and generally speaking, the 'sensation'
of nursing is barely tolerable.  It's not painful, it's just not
comfortable.   I can tolerate it better if i'm doing something else, so
early on, i learned that nursing a baby in a sling was a Good Thing b/c
then i could be doing other things and wouldn't be so sensitive to the
nipple sensations.

A friend of mine here, who was a LLL leader *always* had pain for a
couple of weeks while nursing her nb's.  And she had six of them.
After a few weeks, it would go away.   Her babies had beautiful latches,
she was well schooled in fantastic, asymmetrical latches for the latch
three of  them and it always hurt.    she generally believed that
nursing should not hurt if baby is latching on properly, but that there
would be still be a subset of women who's babies were latching properly
....who did experience pain or discomfort in the initial days.

katherien in atl