From:
Centro Lacted <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 02:54:24 -0800
I had a similar experience once, that with a grant from March of Dimes we distributed free pumps among 48 NICU units around the Island (Puerto Rico).  But in order for the unit to receive the free pumps, they had to send at least 2 staff members to the 18 hr. course (WHO based), plus all the NICU staff had to receive a 1hr. lecture on breastmilk management and use of the pump for the NICU mother.  We also showed them the video "A preemie needs his mother"...we were thinking of distributing the video also, but we needed it in Spanish, and it wasn't available at the time.

  Im not in favor of distributing breastpumps to pregnant women.  This does not guarantee they are going to breastfeed.  The pumps will get a better use for those who really need them...NICU mothers, nursing mothers who are going to class and working mothers.    I would rather hand out the breastpumps as a goal for those mothers who reach the 1 mo. mark (for example).

  Carmen Cabrer, IBCLC, LLLL, CCE
  Puerto Rico
  www.lacted.com