From:
brian deans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 15:06:27 +0800
Hello group. This is my first time on Lactnet. I am a Child Health
Nurse/IBCLC working in Perth Western Australia. I read Marcia Fodge's
article on rebirthing bathing and thought I would bring to everyone's
attention a video called "Mandy & Matt" made by Heather Harris of Melbourne
Aust. This is an excellent video that depicts the strategy of co-bathing
mother and babe to "recreate " the birth experience to promote optimal
attachment at the breast. I have found this technique quite efeective. I
don't have the details of the video at hand as I have loaned it to a
colleague,but will pass it on when available.

Allergic Mother?
I could use some help with a case I am struggling with at present. A
motivated mum, passionate to breastfeed her 2nd baby and managing extremely
well through all kinds of interference. With her first babe, she struggled
to feed her for so long, coping with a very stressed baby who exhibited
constant signs of pain. There was maximum intervention by all sorts of
"medical" people that resulted in weaning and surprise surprise, no
resulting improvement anyway. This mum was greatly disappointed and angry.
        Now with baby number 2, she is determined not to allow herself to
get  swept on to the round-a-bout of helpful interventions. This time around
the baby is gaining very nicely, however the same terrible distress is
evident in the baby and as a result the rest of the family. The last time I
saw this mum she was accompanied by her mum and I asked about her own
experiences. Guess what, she had 6 babies, breast fed them all, and every
one of them screamed for the first 6-9 months. There is a long list of
allergies within the family including this mum. Her family is very
supportive and her determination is even stronger since her last attempt to
sort things out had her going backwards and her confidence shaken.She went
to a day stay unit at a local Mothercraft facility and was told her baby was
being overfed (by an LC-shame!) and that they would help her to regulate
feedings. 9 days later she came back to my clinic and I'm sure you all know
what I'm going to say! The baby had stopped gaining and the stressed
behaviour had escalated.
        I am attempting to contact Maureen Minchin in Melbourne who is very
conversant with this kind of case but would appreciate any input re accurate
history taking etc.
                                                Bobbie Deans RN RM CHN IBCLC